- Having an attractive, well-aligned smile gives you confidence and boosts your morale. However, not everyone has well-aligned teeth to give them a perfect smile, isn’t it? Alignment of teeth can be done with orthodontic treatment.
- Overbite, underbite, crossbite and gap between teeth, etc are some of the problems caused by misalignment in teeth.
- Orthodontic treatment, commonly called as braces treatment, involves correction of misaligned teeth using wires.
- Apart from aligning teeth, orthodontic treatment helps to restore a person’s bite, the function of their teeth and aesthetics. In fact, it plays an important role in preventing dental conditions like cavities and gum diseases that commonly occur due to malalignment.
- Efficient chewing of food
- Improvement of speech
- Improvement in dental hygiene
- Ease of maintaining good oral hygiene
- Reduced risk of cavities and gum diseases
- Reduced attrition or grinding of teeth
- Corrects protrusion of teeth, which are a higher risk of trauma
- Improves smile that helps boost confidence and self-esteem
As mentioned above, there are different types of braces that are available for patients to choose from. We provide a wide range of dental alignment wires based on the individual’s case, lifestyle choices and budget.
There are broadly three types of Orthodontic treatment: Metal braces, Ceramic braces, and clear aligners. The comparative Orthodontic treatment price is lower for the metal braces and higher for the clear aligners. Although all different types of treatment give the same results of proper teeth alignment, the comfort level differs a lot.
Many people have a misconception that dental braces are for kids. However, this is not the case. Yes, children are the best age for alignment treatment, but adults can also benefit. Any individual with healthy teeth and gums can get their teeth aligned. However, orthodontic treatment is best carried out in children due to their flexible bones and continuing growth.
So parents must bring their children to visit the orthodontist when their first permanent teeth erupt. In many cases, an orthodontic problem can be prevented by a timely intervention by the orthodontist.
Teeth extractions are not required for all orthodontic treatment. The reason teeth are extracted is when there isn’t enough space in the arch to move the teeth into alignment.
The space obtained after teeth extraction is used to straighten teeth and align them. After a complete evaluation of your case, the orthodontist will inform you whether you need dental extractions or not.
One common question that patients ask their orthodontist after getting their braces treatment started is – “When will my aligners come off?” and “Can braces be removed early?” In most cases, orthodontic treatment takes 1.5- 2 years. However, some simple cases take less than a year to complete and the more complex cases can take 3 years or longer to complete.
After the orthodontic treatment is done you will find the teeth in a proper position, but to give it a proper shaping, this is known as the maintenance period, and the apparatuses that hold the teeth set up are called retainers.
The retainers hold recently fixed teeth in position while the encompassing gum and bone settles. The retainers can be removable or fixed, contingent upon the first issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
The length of orthodontic treatment for a patient is determined by multiple factors, which includes the severity of malocclusion, age, health of teeth, biologic response, etc. Nevertheless, typical orthodontic treatment takes between 12 and 36 months.
Dental braces are not painful. In most cases, there might be mild discomfort after the orthodontic wire is engaged into the brackets.
With braces fixed on the teeth, one should avoid eating food that has sticky consistency or is hard enough as it can lead to the breaking of the brackets and thus delay the total treatment time.
If you are irregular in your appointments, then the intended time period for the completion of the treatment will be prolonged and the teeth movement will be affected.
There is no age limit for getting teeth braces done. The only consideration is that the teeth should be periodontally sound.
It is not advisable to stop orthodontic treatment midway as relapse will most likely occur.
Retention phase follows orthodontic treatment. Orthodontic retainers are custom-made devices that are usually made of wires and acrylic. Their aim is to hold teeth in their new position. Once the orthodontic treatment has been completed, there will remain a risk of relapse i.e. the tendency of teeth to return to their original position.
Following are the advantages of Invisible Braces over Braces:
- Removable: With Invisible Braces, the trays can be removed, allowing you to eat and drink without food getting stuck in braces.
- Aesthetic: Clear trays may not even be noticed when the patient is wearing them.
- Comfort: Aligner trays can be more comfortable as there are no brackets involved that can otherwise create sores.
- Cleaning: It is easier to keep the Invisible Braces trays cleaner than braces.